Sunday 28 October 2012

Happy Birthday MOM!

Today I want to write about my mom. It’s her birthday and I need to point out that I have spent a great deal of time lamenting the loss I will feel leaving this life behind. However, I have failed to note how freaking awesome it is that I get to return to so many loved ones. Ones that I appreciate more than ever. It’s like when you have the flu and you are so sick you want to die. Once you feel better, you really appreciate your health in a way that you take for granted. There are so many people back home that I can’t wait to see and value now more than ever. I will make more effort to maintain those relationships. But today is about my momma.

My mom has been a guide throughout my life but I have never appreciated her the way I do right now. She has helped me through some hard times while I’ve been here and ironically, I have never felt closer to her.

Mother’s and daughters have an odd friction, or at least my mom and I did. No one pushes my buttons the way she does. I don’t know what it is but I don’t give a shit right now because I’d do anything to see her today and have her push my buttons. Perhaps it is age, that I am growing up and can imagine what it might be like to be a mom, but I have more respect and compassion for her. She is a wise, beautiful, loving, thoughtful, funny, hard working, generous person. The list of adjectives could go on and on. Also, I have the unfortunate experience of imagining what it would be like to not have her around. She bravely fought cancer over the past 2 years. And she f*@king kicked its ass!! What a hero.

Mom, I am so grateful for your guidance, that you have your health back, and that I get to see you in less than two months. Many glasses of wine will be drunk to celebrate that you were born and gave me the privilege to live this extraordinary life.

xoxo MWAH!

1 comment:

  1. i want to wake edie up after reading this and give her a big hug. i love a good old overwhelming love cry. happy birthday tanya's mom.

    ReplyDelete