Wednesday 5 September 2012

Culture Break

So here in Tanzania greetings are of utmost importance. Upon seeing someone whether they are your closest friend or you are just being introduced, there is a series of greetings that occur. It goes something like this:

Hello, how is your (morning, day, evening)
How did you wake up / How did you sleep (this takes some getting used to, but how sweet is this!)
How is your home
How is your family
How is your work
Are you peaceful

The appropriate response for all of the above is fine or very good.

Then you can proceed with whatever you may be wanting to talk about. If you just ran into someone and that was a quick hello, then you say a series of goodbyes as well.

I love this cultural characteristic because it is polite and considerate. I feel like it shows that the person you are engaging with is of primary concern and then comes whatever it is you may need to talk about in a meeting or whatever it is you are doing. To ignore this cultural detail would be detrimental to fitting in and likely viewed as disrespectful. 

This process of greetings occurs on the phone as well. On a hilarious note, Tanzanians spend so much time engaging in greetings but conversely when you are on a phone call and the conversation is finished, they do not say goodbye. They just kind of trail off with a mumble or simply hang up. This was so weird to me at first and I was confused and felt it a bit rude. Then of course you need to remind yourself that it is just a cultural difference. Now I have acclimated and do the same. I had a thought yesterday upon ending a conversation with the head of a municipality that I am so used to it that I may do it when I get back home. Sorry in advance friends.

Speaking of phones, here everyone has a mobile. I know this isn't that shocking as it is common everywhere. What is different is that it costs a great deal to make phone calls, costs nothing to receive them, and is very inexpensive to send text messages. 

Because of this a few things are different here. You may find yourself text messaging all day long. With friends but also with, I don't know, mayors. Weird right? Also people do what is called flash calling. They don't have phone credit (or don't want to spend money talking to you)so they call you and hang up so you will call them. If you want to talk to them, you will have to pay. This is completely acceptable here. Oh Tanzania, I think I love you.



Dear Iphone, I miss you. Had I known I would be spending so much time with another, I would not have left you behind. Just look at this guy, he has nothing on you. (Except an alarm clock that is a British Woman who says "it's time to wake up" repeatedly and gets progressively louder. It works.

No comments:

Post a Comment